Hartree Mill Sports Grounds, Biggar ML12 6JJCharity Number: SC 047700

Weekend match reports: Colts v Allen Glens and 16’s v Loch Lomond

Biggar Colts Dominate Against Allan Glens

Biggar Colts had their second run out in the West Region cup completion on Saturday at Hartree Mill with Allan Glens the visitors. Glens finished third in their Galant Conference and last week had posted a 66 point win over Ardrossan so a tight game was expected. Having said that, it had been nearly 3 months since the last home game for the Biggar Colts so the boys came out determined to put on a show for the good sized crowd that had turned up.


The early stages were a tight affair. Both teams making handling errors and the odd misplaced pass just leading to a move breaking down when it looked like something was developing. It was a very physical affair with Biggar making some really big tackles and knocking their opponents back on a number of occasions.


The first score came for Glens on 13 minutes. With Biggar working to get out of their 22 they were penalised for a hand in the ruck and Glens opted for the 3 points. This seemed to wake up the Biggar attacking intent and they would go on to run in 8 tries.


First up a score for Stuart Forrest. I am sure everyone at the club will be delighted to see Stuart pulling on a Biggar shirt again. Returning from 2 broken legs he eased himself back into the game and it was fantastic to see him get on the scoresheet. The try was simple but very well executed. Glens were penalised for an offside just outside their 22. Ali Steele sent a pinpoint kick to secure a 5 metre line. Rhys Thompson hit his man perfectly form the lineout and the catch and drive from the rest of the pack was superb. Glens couldn’t stop the drive and Stuart at the back of the maul broke from a yard out and touched down. It was clear to see how much it meant to him and also his teammates as they celebrated with him. The conversion was missed by Ali.


Next up a great team effort which led to a touchdown for Sam Wallis. Another line out for the forwards this time a bit further out so the catch was taken and the ball spread quickly through the backs hands. An excellent offload from Finlay Stewart got the ball out to Sam on the wing and he sped over. Again simple rugby but executed very well by Biggar. Ali nailed the conversion from wide left with a really good kick.


Robbie Orr was next to get on the scoresheet and whilst his quick thinking and support play was excellent a great deal of credit needs to go to Ali Steele at fullback. A clearing kick from Glens was taken well by Ali and he clearly spied a gap up the left hand side. Through one tackle then past 2 more defenders he got well into the Glens 22 before popping to Robbie who was running well in support. Robbie still had plenty to do and when he was tackled, Glens were penalised for hand on the floor. Robbie show great awareness to tap quickly and dive over while the decision was being debated. Another tough wide left conversion was landed by Ali.


Half time – Biggar 24 Allan Glens 3


Into the second half and again Glens came out with real fire and determination. The started to push Biggar back into their own 22 but couldn’t really trouble the try line. The Biggar scrum was dominant with the front 5 of Hugo Baillie, Rhys Thompson, Harry Low, Harry Archibald and Josh JVR really laying down a marker every time there was a scrum called. The back row of Charles Connolly, Craig Frame and Dan McConkey seemed to be everywhere. It really was a very dominant display from every one of the pack (including the replacements).


Glens maybe realised that they were struggling to get over the line and when another penalty was awarded inside the 22 and they opted for the 3 points which were well taken. Unfortunately for Glens as with in the first half, this seemed to stir the attacking zeal of the Biggar backs with 4 more scorers touching down.


First to go over was Ali and as with the first half it was doing the simple stuff really well that led to the score from Biggar. A scrum was called inside the Glens 22, the ball was won easily and then fed out quickly through the hands. Ali burst in from full back to go through between the posts. Ali converted his own try.


Next up Rowan Stewart got the score that his play deserved. Initially the ball was kept in the pack with 4 or 5 pick and drives gaining ground and tying in defenders. Quick hands got the ball out and Rowan cut a great line to steer clear of the chasing defence. This try went unconverted.


Biggar were now dominating the game and looked like they could score at any time and next to go over was Finn Barr. He had a really good game at scrum half never giving his opposite numbers a minutes peace. It was that harrying that got him his score. Deep inside the Glens 22 Biggar looked to go over but a knock on gave Glens the scrum. With the Biggar pack dominating there was real pressure on the scrum half to get the ball in and out quickly. With that and the chasing he was getting from Finn he took his eye off the ball and it squirmed out of the back of the scrum. Finn reacted before anyone and pounced on the ball. A really good effort from the scrum half. Again Ali converted well.


Final try of the game went to Jamie Bell who had come on as sub on the wing. A big tackle as Glens made their way out of their 22 saw the ball knocked on by Glens. Quick reactions from Biggar secured the ball and it was passed out to Bell on the wing who had plenty still to do but dashed over for the score. Ali then converted with a fantastic drop kick from the touchline which drew a well-deserved cheer as it really was a cracking kick!


Full time - Biggar 50 – Allan Glens 6


A very good game to watch and a potential banana skin avoided for the Colts in their quest for cup glory. Glens were clearly a decent outfit but Biggar dominated them from early on until the final score. It was great to see all 15 men still fighting for every yard when Glens won a scrum under the Biggar posts in the dying minutes. The game was won but the determination not to concede a try was there for all to see. Some great tackling, superb running and above all getting the basics spot on were the basis for this win. Really good to see and clearly the result of hard work on the training pitch.


Final word has to go to Stuart Forrest - great to see you back playing and hopefully Sunday wasn’t too painful!


Sunday 18 February 2018

Loch Lomond 10 v 65 Biggar U16’s

Despite the one week layoff it was business as usual for the U16’s as they travelled to Loch Lomond for their second West Region Cup fixture.


Despite the constant drizzle and poor conditions the boys got off to a flying start when with 5 minutes on the clock having retained possession through a number of forward phases the ball sailed down the back line for Callum Smith to score in the corner. Calum McCallum put an excellent kick over for a 0-7 lead for Biggar.


Next came another good series of forward phases and a touch down from Seth Jamison, although the kick was missed, making it 0-12 to Biggar.


Loch Lomond kept themselves in it when a quick line-out by them caught Biggar by surprise and they scored in the corner, but also missed their kick to pull it back to 5-12.


The opposition’s score only served to spur Biggar on and they began to dominate the game in both the forwards and the backs. It seemed as though the only time Loch Lomond got a touch of the ball was when Biggar either dropped it, or a wayward pass gifted the ball back to them.


In a dominant 20-25 minute spell Biggar ran in five unanswered tries.


First Cameron Gray dived over from a 5 yard line-out, then Callum Smith ran in one of his trademark solo efforts sprinting past almost the entire Loch Lomond defensive line. Although both kicks were missed the lead was extended to 5-22.


Louis Henderson charged over a few minutes later to round off some excellent forwards phases. Then it was the backs turn again as Aaron Thomson sold an sublime side-step to create a gap for him to sail through the defensive line and score. It was then back to the forwards again who drove the Loch Lomond forwards back to their 10 yard line before Seth Jamison dived over for his second try of the game. With Calum McCallum kicking all three conversions the lead was extended to 5-43.


Loch Lomond managed to add to their tally from a kick into space, which Biggar should have dealt with, but the opposition picked up the loose ball and scored in the corner again. They also missed their kick making it 10-43 at the half-time interval.


The second half went much the same way as the first, with Biggar maintaining control of the game.


Callum Smith sailed over for his hat-trick a few minutes in to the half and with another missed conversion the score was 10-48.


Next came the best try of the game with the phases between forwards and backs beginning from almost our own try line.


A break from Cameron Snell saw him charging down the line with Josh Foster in hot pursuit. As Cammy drew the tackle and popped the pass to Josh he just continued to sailed down the line, out pacing the last of the defenders, to score in the corner. His first try for Biggar – much to the delight of all his team mates! With the kick missed again the lead was extended to 10-53.


Though given the option to concede victory, Loch Lomond to their credit chose to see out the game. There was time on the clock for Cameron Gray to score his second try of the day with a good pick-up and charge and for Callum Smith to complete the try fest with his fourth of the match. Calum McCallum missed one but kicked the other conversion to round the game off at 10-65.


Another good all round performance by the boys despite the poor weather conditions. With eleven tries and five conversions there could be little to complain about but the boys were unhappy at giving away two easy tries and not keeping a clean sheet. Next week we have a friendly at home to Dumfries.


Weekend match reports: Colts v Allen Glens and 16’s v Loch Lomond

Good results for Colts and 16's in Cup matches


June 2018
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
web design by Environ-IT