Hartree Mill Sports Grounds, Biggar ML12 6JJCharity Number: SC 047700

U16’s reach National Cup Final

Biggar U16s road trip part 3 (we will come back to part 2 sometime in the future).

Following 2 Border raids over Christmas and New Year Biggar were sent to the neutral venue of The Oriam in Edinburgh (Currie) to play Currie RFC.

It is a fantastic set up and amazing changing facilities and we must credit the SRU for the planning and scheduling of this years National Cup providing the early certainty of the draw, a schedule with gaps and an indoor venue in January for the Semi Final are all very good decisions, even if I personally find the neutral venue amusing for this particular match.


The game started with Biggar receiving and unlike the last two Cup games where Biggar scored first Biggar lost their own line out and defended poorly the next to concede a very early try in the corner.


However they regained procession early and put pressure on the Currie line only for the ball to be ruled held up following drives from Sam Taylor, Jonathan Smith and then Cameron Gray and Murray Lean. So more pressure led to a long range penalty converted by Callum McCallum and the score was 5 – 3 after 9 minutes. Currie then had their strongest phase of the match and Biggar lost their outside centre Rhys Campbell to a shoulder stinger during the back line reorganisation Curries full back found space from a loose Biggar kick and scored near the posts. Biggar then fought right back and continued to put pressure on the Currie goal line the ball was then spun wide left with a miss pass from Callum Smith to Callum McCallum to score in the corner, the conversion was missed and with the score 12 – 8 heading towards half time. Biggar then pressed the Edinburgh teams line with multiple penalties awarded to Biggar however with no reward, score at HT 12 – 8.


The second half started like the first with Curries line under severe pressure but with no reward from penalties or sanction against Currie for repeated infringement and a possible grounding of the ball ruled held up. Currie then made what some thought was a decisive strike scoring against the run of play to take the second half momentum and with the conversion go to 19 – 8 ahead. The game then looked to be slipping further from the young Rams grasp when a kick chase by Callum McCallum on the half way line was fairly ruled a yellow card for taking the receiver out in the air. However with 14 men on the Oriam pitch the Biggar team tightened up and solid pressure led Sam Taylor to go over from short range converted by Euan Laing. Then 18 minutes into the second half Currie struck what they I am sure from the celebrations believed was the decisive blow and led 24 – 15. Biggar now with all the subs in play powered forward and following an incident where Biggars captain Jonathan Smith was taken out in the air at a lineout Biggar set up an attacking phase and on the 26 th minute scored through Sam Taylor again converted by Euan Laing. With the score now 24 – 22 Biggar were a wave on the Currie try line trying to engineer the winning points, Currie broke out a few times but Biggar maintained the pressure gaps in the Currie defence were opening up and Biggar powered forward with the cool blue heads required. As the clock ticked into the final 60 seconds Biggar set up a pick and go from under the posts three swings left and Cameron Gray went over the line by the post for the winning try, Callum Mccallum with a cool head took his allocated time missed the conversion but completed the game 24 – 27 to Biggar.


Biggar only led for 30 seconds of the match which is true but it was a see saw match with scores from each side being returned by the other. The spirit of the squad often build under tricky circumstances this year created the team unity to keep working for each other even when things weren’t going as planned. Many parts of Biggars game plan didn’t function as well as normal and for that Currie must take a lot of credit and Currie certainly where a much stronger and more organised team than Biggar had dismissed of easily in preseason. Biggar performed when it mattered and were ahead when it mattered.


All credit to the squad of 22 on the day but also the wider squad, supporter’s helpers and everybody that helps make this work it only happens because we all do our bit and pull the same way, One Club one Family.      


U16’s reach National Cup Final

In a dramatic finish, the U16's won through with the last play of the game to beat Currie and reach the National Cup final!!


April 2019
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
web design by Environ-IT